The fifteenth century defies consensus on fundamental issues; most scholars agree, however, that the period outgrew the Middle Ages, that it was a time of transition and a passage to modern times. Fifteenth-Century Studies offers essays on diverse aspects of the period, including liberal and fine arts, historiography, medicine, and religion.
Volume 37 includes articles on René d'Anjou and authorial doubling in the Livre du Coeur d'Amour épris; tradition and innovation in popular German song poetry from Oswald von Wolkenstein to Georg Forster; the role of sacred images in Capgrave's Life of Saint Katherine; milieu, John Strecche, and the Gawain-poet; Gaelic, Middle Scots, and the question of ethnicity in three Scottish flytings; William Caxton's translations of Aesop; the visualization of information in Conrad Buitzruss's compendium; and Gilles de Rais and his modern apologists. Book reviews conclude the volume.
Contributors: Albrecht Classen, Nicholas Ealy, Richard Garrett, Rosanne Gasse, Janice McCoy, Jacqueline Murdock, Ben Parsons, Carolyn King Stephens, Elizabeth Wade-Sirabian.
BARBARA I. GUSICK is Professor Emerita of English at Troy University, Dothan, Alabama; MATTHEW Z. HEINTZELMAN is curator of the Austria/Germany Study Center and Rare Book Cataloger at Hill Museum & Manuscript Library, Saint John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota.
First Published: 30 Mar 2012
13 Digit ISBN: 9781571135261
Size: 9 x 6
Imprint: Camden House
Series: Fifteenth-Century Studies
Subject: German Literature
BIC Class: DSB
Details updated on 17 Sep 2014
- 1 Tradition and Innovation in 15th and 16th Century Popular Song Poetry: From Oswald von Wolkenstein to George Forster
- 2 The Poet at the Mirror: René d'Anjou and Authorial Doubling in the Livre du Coeur d'Amour épris
- 3 Modern Translator or Medieval Moralist?: William Caxton and Aesop
- 4 A Battle of "Trechour Tung[s]": Gaelic, Middle Scots, and the Question of Ethnicity in the Scottish Flyting
- 5 Wheels and Wycliffites: The Role of Sacred Images in Capgrave's The Life of Saint Katherine
- 6 Sympathy for the Devil: Gilles de Rais and His Modern Apologists
- 7 Milieu, John Strecche, and the Gawain-Poet
- 8 Thinking on Paper: Reference Tools, Tables, and Diagrams in Conrad Buitzruss's Compendium (Clm 671)
- 9 Book Reviews